Thursday, August 05, 2004

The Blog of Shame (A Hodgepodge of Hurried Catch-Up)

It's true, I haven't written anything in this blog for basically a week. Not that there is nothing to write about. There are just so many activities to juggle in a busy squirrel/parent/librarian/renovateur's life. What to do first??

Jimbo always says, "You're only as good as your last blog." The pressure!

What's new in my life? Am in the middle of 3 weeks of teaching seniors how to use a mouse. Or to use mouses. Learned recently that the plural of computer mouse is usually 'mice', but can, in fact, be 'mouses'! How silly! I love it.

I love hanging out with seniors. They are the keenest students. They show up early, they stay late, they tell great jokes, they laugh at my jokes (it's all about me, don't forget).

We have been using Mouserobics, which is a pretty cool program, but I need to continue my pursuit of keyboarding software for the library. There are too many seniors out there who have never used a keyboard in their lives. And I don't really want to be a typing teacher.

Was having horrid flashback to Grade 9 Typing class at lunch today (after teaching the seniors): we learned on old-fashioned manual typewriters with the carriage return, and greasy Mr. Whasisname used to be fond of saying, "Don't make love to it, just push the carriage return and let it go." I remember being absolutely mortified in my shy, pubescent state of even hearing this statement. Ack. I suppose if he didn't have quite so much dandruff and such a lecherous gleam in his eye, it might have been a mildly funny joke. Or not. Ick.

Sprout has learned to walk backwards, and bursts with pride when he does it and gets praised. It's too funny. He looks like a little moonwalking Michael Jackson (a little white, tow-haired Michael Jackson).

Jimbo leaves for Vancouver tomorrow for the wedding of our beloved Shmally to young Jeremy. I am a shade nervous about a weekend of single-parenting (but real single parents out there will be shouting "shut up" at me, so I will).

Watched a great video series this week from the Library called Heat of the Sun. British whodunit about an English expatriate police officer working in Kenya in the colonial 1930s. Totally fab.

Kitchen renovations plug along glacially. What is left to do? Put the shelves in the cupboards, put on the toe-kicks, glass in the glass cupboard doors, trim out the window and door frames, paint the walls, replace the ceiling fixture with track lighting, add baseboards, add quarter-round, drink champagne. Ha. Maybe it will be done in time for Sprout's graduation...

4 Comments:

Blogger Woodchick said...

I recommend "Typer Shark". But perhaps it is not for the light-of-heart senior?

9:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally! A post! I don't care how busy you are. We are addicted. We need regular posts! You CAN'T forget your public!!!!!

(my typing teacher used to say "a drink might make you type better.")

7:52 pm  
Blogger Gwen said...

Who knew someone (besides my devoted Schwester and the kind Americans) actually reads this thing! Bless you. I will try harder, just for you, whoever you are.

2:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Library Squirrel - you probably have many more anonymous readers than you think - I'm one ... I love your blog - most refreshing - a true-life librarian perspective! Please do keep it up!

1:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home