Wednesday, August 18, 2004

The Mouse Lives

Yay, Mouserobics no longer dead on the central site. Got e-mail from the creator, who said that the computer it runs off of quietly died while he was on holidays and no one else noticed.

The death of the mouse in class last week was a good 'teachable moment', used to talk about how it's common that websites die without warning, or are sometimes unaccessible for a whole raft of reasons.

My seniors computer classes are over for a while, but the new thing I'm involved in at work is a leviathan beta test of some new Interlibrary Loan software. Among my duties is Interlibrary Loan Supervisor, which means that I never do hands-on ILL work, but instead get to interpret and politely reinforce policy when my very capable staff can't reason with a patron. I also get to participate in policy changes and beta tests like this one. Sometimes I groan at this duty, but the squirrel-perky part of my personality likes being involved because ILL gets to be a more and more important part of library service, as we get more electronic and interoperable.

The beta test meetings are at 8:00 a.m. (an ungodly time for the up-all-night parent squirrel), but once they are over and I'm fully awake, I get excited about leaving work at 4:00 p.m.!

My sister is still at our house (now sleeping in the garage on a plywood platform over two sawhorses!!)(avec Thai mosquito net!), and she's making a traditional German family dish for us tonight: creamed chicken with German struedel. We call it the 'fat fest', as in "pour oil and butter into the pan to a depth of 1/2 inch..."

I'm not kidding. If anything's going to bring back the gall bladder problems I skirmished with last year, this is the test...

3 Comments:

Blogger argotnaut said...

It's almost a pity that someone who loves German as much as I do is a vegetarian. (That was a weirdly-formed sentence, but it'll do.)

The Berlin Inn here in Portland has a few surprisingly delicious vegetarian options, though. And Glühwein. Mmmmm.

12:14 pm  
Blogger liz said...

That sounds nearly as good for one as my homemade macaroni & cheese, which is actually egg noodles drowned in a sauce made with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and butter, with "krab" chunks added for good measure. (A recipe from back in the days when I couldn't even get up to 113 lbs, and was *really* trying.)

3:10 pm  
Blogger Scribbler said...

Because of that navigation bar that has appeared on the top of my blogspot site, I started browsing through other people's blogs. I came across yours and had to stay awhile to read through your entries. Very funny stuff. Feel free to visit my blog anytime.

3:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home