Monday, May 16, 2005

Bee Loud Glade

Okay, the bees are not out. And it's not very loud. But it is the green world.

I'm gardening again.

I haven't been able to garden for ages, it seems like. For the last three days, it has been perfect outside. We are in the halcyon days of a Saskatoon summer. The mosquitos are not out yet. The wasps are not out yet. It stays light out until 9:15 p.m., so you can see what you're doing. It's sunny with a slight breeze and the skys are big. These are the days where you think, "Yes, this is why I live here." We've eaten supper outside for three nights running, followed by general frolicking in the garden (Sprout), digging a new garden bed (me), and reading sci-fi with cigarettes (Jim). Fabulous.

I have removed the grass from a sizeable portion of the yard so that Sprout and I can plant a veggie patch this year. I'm going to try to teach him to garden, which may require many, many lessons in restraint. "No, no, don't pull that one, Sweetie! That's not a weed!" Jim and I dug in the contents of our four-year compost pile tonight, and the dirt is rich and loamy. I guess all that's left is the trip to the garden centre (yay! shopping!)(oh wait, garden centre - DANGEROUS shopping...)

Note to self: leave some plants for the other people.

Anyway, I'm having such a great time gardening. I'm gardening crazed, in truth. As soon as Jim puts Sprout to bed, I sneak out for the last 45 minutes and creep around outside watering and weeding like a little fairy. Buzz buzz, twinkle twinkle. I haven't had meditative gardening time for years, between parenthood and super-librarian volunteerhood. Now that Sprout is older and needs me slightly less all the time, and now that I'm slightly less sleep-deprived, this being home every night with few extracurricular jobs to do is brilliant. I think it's going to be an awesome summer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Woodchick said...

Oooh, I want to be a gardening fairy in Saskatoon, too.

8:22 am  
Blogger Just Me said...

Ah yes...as a fellow gardener I can understand totally your obsession. It's that whole spring renewal thing happening. There is no better stress relief like gardening.

10:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home