Thursday, October 14, 2004

Squirrels in a Snarl

I read, with wonderment, an article in the Saskatoon Star Phoenix the other day about squirrels who occasionally get their tails tied in a knot! And I mean more than one squirrel, all tied together! Sounds too crazy, doesn't it?

Listen to this:

"Bizarre phenomenon sees squirrels tied in knots"
by Richard Hall, of the Star Phoenix
Saturday, October 9, 2004 edition, page A1 (yes, this qualifies for front page news around here...)

"Weyburn veterinarian Gary Hoium never thought he'd be confronted with a twisting, knotted-up mass of squirrels.

"On the lawn of a Weyburn senior citizen's residence in May 2003, four eastern fox squirrels were writhing around, knotted together at the tails..."

It's too weird. I'd reprint the entire article, if it weren't for my high librarian copyright standards. Oops, must go, library closing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Woodchick said...

Sounds like many a librarian pub night I've heard tell of.

7:33 am  
Blogger liz said...

Not with squirrels, but I have heard of this with rats. It's somehow connected with the myth of the King Rat. (It was in a book about New York rats that TheLimey got me last spring after hearing about it on public radio...)

3:30 pm  
Blogger Fichter said...

Gwen - this is too wierd! Great to see you blogging!
Darlene

2:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home