Thursday, October 28, 2004

What the Internet Is

Monday I hosted a library lecture for the public on blogging and RSS. Peter Scott was the presenter, and he did a great job. At the end of the session, some of the audience were so excited about making blogs that I agreed to meet them the next day and help them set up their own.

I'm getting blase about the Internet, but Peter said something in the middle of the session that got my inner librarian all fired up suddenly:
"The Internet is a community where we all get together to create information."

Peter has been working with the Internet since the beginning of it all, and he hasn't lost the significance of it. I usually think of the Internet as a mere communication/information tool, but when it's phrased like this I want to go out and get the world excited about it.

Pollyanna squirrel says, "Isn't blogging great??" We all get to create information. We all get to create the news. Even if it's only news that's of interest to my sister in Ontario. It's good to be reminded of things like this.

Enough rapid Thursday-morning blogging. Now I'm off to nail quarter-round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home