Saturday, November 20, 2004

Tales From Small Town Saskatchewan: Boh

My friend T reminded me the other day that I have never blogged about Boh. This is a terrible oversight, if I fancy that I am giving the world any sort of taste of smalltown Saskatchewan.

Boh. Short for 'Bohemian'. Only the finest beer that Saskatchewan has to offer. A pale lager. Zippy. Unpretentious. With three gold medals for excellence right on the front label. I just found it reviewed on a beer website, and it still seems to stand up, although the gold medals are from the sixties, I think.

In Leader and other neighbouring small towns, Boh had a very bad reputation when I was young. It was the beer that the old drunks swill all day in the local bar. When I came to Saskatoon for university, however, my friend and I ordered Boh as a joke one day - and it turned out to be fantastic! Who knew that the old drunks were on to something. You can't buy Boh in every pub in Saskatchewan; but if you find it in a pub, you know immediately that the owners must be connoisseurs of beer, who know that there are pockets of devoted Boh-fans out there.

So there you go. Boh. The misunderstood Saskatchewan beer.

5 Comments:

Blogger Woodchick said...

Sadly, every time I hear Boh mentioned I think of a very racist beer song that someone sang me once. It's profoundly disturbing. Of course the song may not have originated in Saskatchewan. One would hope.

I never drank Boh to any serious extent, except when with the Squirrel. I preferred to stretch my pennies by drinking O'Keefe's Extra Old Stock, which has an extra percent of alcohol, although not quite as zippy. Zippy?!

5:42 pm  
Blogger liz said...

Now I really want to try it! I've never heard of it before, but I tend to like non-mainstream beers with a stronger flavor. (My standard is Guinness stout, of course.)

I wonder if they have it in one of the bars around here?

2:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm - this is funny - when I arrived in Saskatoon some 20 odd years ago, my younger sister hung around with a crowd who only drank Boh, so I was surprised to hear it's a "small-town Sask. beer" - maybe the crowd (independent biker types)originated from small-town SK! BTW, I developed a bit of taste for it for awhile there ...

12:02 am  
Blogger Gwen said...

With all the stupid racist shit that's going on around my city right now, I wouldn't be surprised if that charming Boh song was composed in Saskatchewan. Some things need to change around here, and fast.

*******

Two other great things I forgot to mention about Boh:
1. it's union made
2. it has no preservatives

*******

Anonymous poster - what did you do when you lived in Saskatoon, and where do you live now? Always nice to hear from someone who used to live here.

1:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... to continue with my "anonymousness", it's been a case of "Runnin’ Back To Saskatoon" a couple of times now - in my earlier stages in the 'toon, I welded and trained as a library tech, raised kids and "grew up" in the process, and presently am a student out of Vancouver.

10:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home