Wednesday, November 03, 2004

The "I Love You" Convergence

Isn't it weird when the same theme comes up twice within two days in separate conversations?

Yesterday I was talking to my friend D who had just gone to her first Al-Anon meeting. She said it went well aside from the group greeting: when they heard that she was a newcomer, each person turned to her, introduced him/herself, and then said "I love you." Now, D is a very caring person and so not averse to "love", but proclamations from 20 complete strangers is a decidedly different matter.

On a separate note, I have never heard the Sprout say "I love you." It's one of those mushy things all parents wait for. Anyway, this morning, I'm standing in the doorway at daycare talking to Sue who takes care of him. Sprout is playing in the background. All of a sudden, he hurries towards us saying, in a light conversational tone, "I love you. I love you. I love you." I whirl attentively, only to discover that he isn't really saying it. He is simply repeating the sound that comes out of the motion-sensitive large plastic squirrel figurine that he is carrying. If you move near it, it says "I love you. I love you." (Imagine a tiny, high computerized voice).

How many not-really-love "I love you's" can you get in a 24-hour period?

5 Comments:

Blogger Woodchick said...

I love you, Library Squirrel. No, No, I mean I love poo! No. I love chocolate!! Yes! Chocolate!! Love it!

8:32 pm  
Blogger Gwen said...

That is a very silly message. Are you drunk, college girl? You student-types. Always going on a bender.

9:36 am  
Blogger Woodchick said...

I was high on the possibilities after my first encounter with feltmaking. And don't you find, sometimes, that it's so easy to confuse Library Squirrels with chocolate?

6:46 am  
Blogger Gwen said...

I am eating so much chocolate these days (self-medicating?) that you could almost say this Library Squirrel is made of chocolate.

10:24 am  
Blogger Gwen said...

Nah. He's making me work for it. C'est la vie, I guess.

9:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home