Wednesday, February 02, 2005

This is How the Week is Shaping Up So Far

Sprout has chicken pox.

I have a kick-in-the-head head cold.

For the fifth time since we moved into this house, 3 1/2 years ago, they are digging up the street directly in front of our house.

Because they are digging up the street in front of our house, we have no water.

Because we have no water, we cannot give the Sprout a soothing baking soda/oatmeal bath.

I am sick enough to stay home and sleep all day, but because they are digging up the street in front of our house (crash, vibrate, bang, beep, beep, beep), there would be no sleeping anyway. So I might as well go to work.

Sprout has been peeing his pants all over the house; Jim thinks it's because he's sick, and I'm convinced it's because I'm a bad mother. Oh that irrational maternal guilt is strong. Happily, this morning, I asked him if he needed to go potty, and it all went very smoothly. Perhaps Jim is right.

Seemingly unrelated, but a segue all the same: every time I cross Sprout now (e.g. "No, I'm sorry, but you may not watch movies in the morning on a work day."), he says, "Bad Mommy! Go away!!" which makes me laugh and feel like a pile of poop, all at the same time. What can I say: he's almost two.

The water came back on at six last night, and I promptly rejoiced and started the dishwasher. Half an hour later, they turned the water off again, which means that all the dishes were washed but not rinsed and are stuck in there until we return to the 21st century.

The snowman that I built in the front yard two days ago is just the right height that every time I walk through the living room at night, I think someone is standing right outside the house and staring in the window.

That's the way the week is going.

NEWS FLASH: Well. Obviously the water is back on. I just heard a gushing trickle of water hit the basement floor as I wrote that last bit, and realized that

1. the water must be back on,
2. the water must be running in the bathroom and overflowing the partially-plugged sink and leaking into the basement, and
3. I'm in trubba...

Luckily, the water covered the tile floor but didn't flood the hardwood in the hall before it started leaking into the basement. Even luckier that they didn't wait until I had gone to work this afternoon to turn the water on... Sigh.

That's the way the week is going.




4 Comments:

Blogger Woodchick said...

Wow, that's simply awful. I think you're the best mommy ever...you can tell Sprout that Auntie said that.

6:57 am  
Blogger Gwen said...

Thanks for your support, Beans; it means a lot. Just for that, I vote you squirrel-for-a-day, esteemed honour that that is.

10:19 am  
Blogger liz said...

I deeply sympathize with the whole construction-noise no-water thing--and to also be sick and have a sick child at the same time: nightmare!! You poor critters.

1:27 pm  
Blogger Gwen said...

Thanks Liz; I vote you squirrel-for-a-day too (although, I still maintain my suspicions that you are a true squirrel anyway).

1:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home