Monday, September 26, 2005

Takedown!

The whole weekend was a wild ride, but Friday night took the cake. I was so sleepy after a busy week, that I went to sleep at 9:30 p.m. with the Sprout. I never get tummy aches, but a bad one woke me up at 2:00 a.m. and had me whining and pacing for about an hour.

I was finally back to sleep by 3:00 a.m., but woke from a deep sleep at 4:00 to the sound of a man's deep voice yelling out on the street: "Put your hands up!! Get down on the ground!! Do it now!!!" I was sure that someone was being mugged right in front of our house. I jumped out of bed, grabbed the phone to call the police, and snuck up to the window to peer out -- and, of course, it WAS THE POLICE doing all the shouting. Whew. But, boy, my heart was pounding.

I then proceeded to go right back to bed and have dreams about being in the witness protection program, and having to move to some faraway place.

Thoughtful parenting, Saturday, was at the bare minimum after that night.

5 Comments:

Blogger Woodchick said...

I am in awe of the gumption spammers are stooping to. Is gumption a word??

8:39 pm  
Blogger Gwen said...

Gumption is a word, but I don't think you can really say 'stoop to gumption'. It don't fly, Schwester.

9:15 am  
Blogger liz said...

Except in the classical poetic sense: "She stoops to gumption".

Perhaps gumption can be stooped to only after other, more appropriate characteristics have been exhausted.

3:13 pm  
Blogger Woodchick said...

I absolutely meant that in the classical poetic sense!

3:26 pm  
Blogger Amy Jo Ehman said...

For a few months this summer, I was praying for the cops the shout, "Put your hands up," outside my house, because the place two doors down had been turned into a meth factory. Try as we might (me and the neighbours) the cops never came. The drugos were finally evicted for not paying rent. Oh, Library Squirrell, what is our neighbourhood coming to??

6:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home