Monday, January 23, 2006

Issues with Teeth

It seems particularly ironic to me, on election day in Canada, from the birthplace of Medicare, that I had to pay $340.00 last week to get my cat's tooth pulled.

Unless Canadians come to their senses in the next 10 hours, there may be a Conservative majority government, and Medicare will be seriously threatened. We've had the same Tory fellow elected in our riding for two terms now, and I think/fear that the - mainly rural - voters will send him to Ottawa yet again today. Our 'representative' never seems to talk about issues that affect all of us, such as health care, education, child care. He only seems to focus on the evils of same sex marriage and abortion. And the rural voters chase these red herrings, and vote him in on issues that are complex, yes, but affect very few people. I'd like the rural voters to take a look at where Mo-Mo stands on health care and other issues that affect every single Canadian. If the Conservatives open health care to privatization under NAFTA, and rural farmers suddenly have to pay $340.00 to get a child's illness looked at in the future, they are going to be shocked and appalled once again at the abandonment of rural Saskatchewan. I shake my head.

On the topic of voting, I hope that ex-pat bohemian Saskatonians in Ontario take time from carving their spoons to vote. Older sisters feel the need to nag, occasionally.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog I hope we can work to build a better health care system as we are in a major crisis and health insurance is a major aspect to many.

1:44 pm  
Blogger Woodchick said...

I did vote! I did! I did! Yay for me!

11:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home