Sunday, December 24, 2006

Shabby Chic

Oh, the life of the squirrel librarian.

At the same Christmas party where Sprout decided that I should work forever to keep him in swimming outings, this shabby chic incident also happened...

I don't dress up very often any more, but for the Christmas party I raised the bar and pulled out the vintage dress that I own that always makes me look super fabulous. When I wear it, I feel gorgeous in a volumptuous sort of way (yes, I did say 'volumptuous').

Anyway, in my gorgeous dress, off I sashayed to the fete.

And I carried on feeling gorgeous for at least half the evening, until I noticed that my vintage dress was coming apart at the seam just under my armpit. And showing a shocking bit of flesh.

Then suddenly, I felt volumptuous and shabby at the same time. For the rest of the evening, I held my arm tightly to my side, covering the protruding squirrel flesh, and made the most of it. But it sure cramped my style.

Librarians who dress up always seem to call down the wrath of the gods, don't you think? It is hubris to rise above the trappings of shabby chic. Obviously.

1 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

You're not alone: I went on national television with a rumpled shirt collar. I had adjusted it before going to air, but I obviously didn't look long enough in the mirror, and missed the very large jag just above my jacket collar. Gack!

I'll never live that one down.

12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home