Monday, October 09, 2006

Hibernation

It is Fall, and the urge to hibernate descends on all squirrels. Except me.

I have started my new job, and in fact, I feel like I am just waking up from a long, deep sleep. Why? Because suddenly I'm the go-to girl. I haven't supervised more than one or two people for about seven years, and mostly my charges were so competent that they didn't really need me. Now that I'm the branch supervisor, I am the first person to talk to when something needs changing or fixing.

Not that I'm unhappy about this new responsibility. This is why I took the job; to learn more about being a manager, in case I want to go there. My first week there, though, was full of a thousand little conversations of the sort that I'm not used to having. In my head I kept thinking, "Oh, wait, yeah, they need to talk to me about this! Wake up, Gwen!!" Yawn and stretch, squirrel. Yawn and stretch.

My first week at the branch has been great, despite my sleepiness. The staff are fantastic, and they work really well as a team. The building has great light, from the big windows. The maintenance staff there keep it sparkling clean (yes, this is news). The patrons are nice, and there are lots and lots of cute kids around to make me laugh.

I think I'm going to like it at the little branch with the big heart.

Once I dust the cobwebs off my brain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home