Monday, January 29, 2007

Drugs. Or Licorice.

I am at work, crunching stats on an informal staff survey. I am on a Staff ID Committee, and the survey we did is on whether staff would be willing to wear a nametag or uniform when they're at work, to designate them as library staff.

I'm so glad that we did this survey, since getting staff input on something that affects us all is something I believe in strongly. BUT. But, counting all the stats is, well, deadly boring.

Since I don't have any mind-altering drugs in my little office to cut the tedium, I've turned to the soothing properties of red candy licorice whips. Oh yeah. Uh huh.

By the way, 100 librarians agree: wearing uniforms, or nametags with your personal name on them, are JUST NOT ON. But you might talk us into a nametag that says 'Library Staff'... Maybe...

3 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

Name tags are so...I don't know, fast food-ish. If someone wants to know my name, I'd be happy to share it. But to wear this thing on my clothes all day? Not so much.

Besides, isn't it obvious who works at a library? Living in a northern climate, the staff usually have no coats in evidence. And they're usually stationed behind a desk or kiosk, our putting stuff back on a shelf or otherwise engaged with library infrastructure in a way that suggests rather strongly that they work there.

In other words, anyone who can't tell the difference between library staff and patrons is a complete moron.

Or something like that.

Good luck with the stats. I feel your pain. Dry only begins to describe it.

4:57 pm  
Blogger liz said...

Ooh! I'm doing stats right now!

Er, wait--I'm commenting on your blog right now. But I mean, what I'm really supposed to be doing...

Anyway.

If you need any graphs, I'm your girl. Especially histograms with normal curves.

3:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust me(since I work at the same library as Gwen), you can't always tell the staff from the patron! We have everything from the 'really dressed up' to 'I can't believe anyone could look that grungy at work'look.

8:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home