Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Small-Town Saskatchewan

I am from a small town in Saskatchewan called 'Leader'. When I say where I'm from, I have to be careful to enunciate succinctly because I am in metric Canada and sometimes people think I'm from 'Litre'. That's so hilarious. Litre, Saskatchewan. And what are people from Litre called - millilitres?

Anyway, small-town Saskatchewan is fascinating. My husband is a city-squirrel and he thinks I'm very refined and urbane too. Occasionally he hears something come out of my mouth, though, and says "My god, where did you ever learn to say something as filthy as that??" For this reason, Leader has attained a sort of mystical quality for him, as a place where people say appalling things. But it's not Leader, it's small-town Saskatchewan. Or maybe it's small-town anywhere.

Here's a sample of small-town Saskatchewan speak. Not for the faint-of-heart, mind you. And often with a tinge of mysogyny. But, even the distasteful must be discussed somewhere, don't you think, in a world where we strive for minimal censorship.

Riding bitch.

"Riding bitch" is when a woman sits right next to the man driving a truck (usually a truck), even though there's a whole lot of room in the cab to sit spaciously. Have you ever done this? I usually couldn't get a boyfriend in high school, but when I did, I must admit, I rode bitch. I rode bitch before I knew that it had a name.

2 Comments:

Blogger Woodchick said...

riding bitch. bush parties. river parties. the haunted house. shelterbelts. socials. turning 19 at three New Year's eve parties in a row. driving the gravel backroads at high speeds & getting "pissed".

the true sign of a talented, macho guy was that he could toss his beer bottle out the driver's side window at top speed & smash it on a signpost. sadly, part of me is still impressed by that.

ex-Litre-ite

12:12 am  
Blogger Woodchick said...

mmm-hmm. a block away from the internet cafe, i remembered the other Litre-ism i'd been wracking my brain for....."stubble jumper". only the squirrel will understand the horror.

12:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home