Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Pee Train

'Ride on the pee train...' (Cat Stevens would really hate this, wouldn't he)

Sprout is daytime potty-trained, but up until two days ago was still wearing a pull-up diaper to bed. Being the brave sort, I have purchased a few extra flannel bedsheets, and am attempting to help him learn not to pee in his pants at night.

It feels like gambling. Will he pee? Will he stay dry? What is my plan if he pees in the middle of the night?

I have extra bedsheets at the ready, along with extra underwear and pajamas. I have prepared my internal mindset to be supportive and encouraging. I have, in my mental checklist, a plan not to let him stay sleeping with me if he crawls up on the unrubberized bed to nurse.

The first night, Sprout went to sleep early and Jim and I watched a movie. Every time he twitched, we leapt up and ran in there to see if he was going to pee. At eleven, he sat up in bed and whined, and I took him to the potty where he peed while being basically asleep. After that, he stayed dry all night. Whoo-hoo!

Last night he peed in his pants without really waking up or waking me up, so I changed him at 4:00 a.m. and we went back to sleep. The flaw in my plan was that I got extra sheets but few extra blankets. I should know that he always bunches up his blankets and sleeps on top of them. Must scare up a few extra baby blankets this morning, before I go to work.

Ah well, I always need to try something a few times before I perfect my system. In the meantime, we're on the train heading west.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home