Monday, November 07, 2005

The Word Report

I have been thinking about words lately, especially since Jim is still letting me whup him at Boggle occasionally. Perhaps a regular word report? Why not spice up all this squirrellery with a bit of orthography and etymology.

My best Boggle words from our last game: peon, roil, rout.
My best stream of Boggle words from the same game: snow now how sow low lower slow slower show shower (the base and artful rhyming method by which I whup the aforementioned Jim).
Jim insists that I may win often, but his words are more elegant: peen, retool, lithe, dower, hone, petty. Perhaps he is right.

My current favourite word: 'parse'. (With 'rotund' and 'rotunda' together in second place, chasing each other around like rats on a wheel.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Woodchick said...

It's true. Only Jim could bring elegance to Boggle. Too bad elegance doesn't win the game!!!

3:20 pm  
Blogger liz said...

I, too, am partial to "parse". But the favorite word that I always come back to is "phenomenology", both form and content.

(As I am currently teaching from the chapter about humanistic psychology, I even get to use it a lot in front of people.)

6:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trav always destroys me in boggle, scrabble, AND trivial pursuit, but I don't let it get to me. I really really really don't. Wah wah. T.

8:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's elegant about "petty"?

(sorry, Jim)

5:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home