Tuesday, February 14, 2006

An Axe for the Frozen Sea

What did Kafka say? "A book should serve as the axe for the frozen sea within us."

Well, the '100 Days, 100 Poems' Project that the Library has going, to celebrate Saskatoon's centennial, is not a book but it's sure making me cry at the drop of a hat.

What a great project. Saskatoon people have been invited to submit poems to the Library, and each day for 100 days a different poem is posted in each branch of the Library and on the website. And the poems are fantastic.

Yesterday, when I arrived at work, I was tidying up old poems from the weekend, and I read February 11's poem - it only took 3 seconds for me to be weeping inconsolably. Sheesh. Must remember that one in case I need it.

I remember once seeing an interview with Richard Burton where he was talking about how to cry on cue. You just think of something that is incredibly sad, and the tears will start to flow. Now I get it. All it takes for me is an image of grandmas longing for babies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home