Monday, July 24, 2006

Madagascar, the Movie

Do you remember Alex, the lion in the animated movie Madagascar, when he does his roaring thing in the zoo in New York and the crowd goes wild? Well that was me at work last week. I could do no wrong.

In a four-hour shift on Wednesday morning, three separate people asked my name so that they could shake my hand and say thank you for the service. And a fourth guy - intrepid local newspaper reporter, no less - said to me, "You're better than the Internet. No, no, you, personally, are better than the Internet."

It doesn't get much better than that on the library reference desk.

And all this just as I was toying with the idea of switching from the public library to a technical college library. Isn't that how it always works. If you consider leaving, or if you actually do, then suddenly they love you.

Am terribly conflicted. My interview for the college job was the day after all my sweet roaring, and so my heart really wasn't in it. I am not expecting them to call me with an offer any time soon.

At the same time, I am waiting for a sign from God about which path to take. Perhaps three good handshakes in one morning is the clearest sign I'm going to get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home