Friday, June 18, 2004

Kitchen Renovations - Day 10

Day 10. I sort of took Day 10 off from the kitchen. Got in a funk reading the newspaper first thing (evil pedophile stories upset me even more terribly now than they did before I had a child). As therapy, did some very satisfying gardening (am battling the evil purple bellflower), got groceries, cleaned the bathroom, did the dishes (sigh) in the bathtub.

Not that nothing was going on, though! John was here for most of the day, building toe kicks and installing the first cabinet boxes. Our kitchen is starting to look like a kitchen! Is very exciting. Dennis arrived at some point to start the plumbing odyssey, and furthermore, the (yay!) dishwasher arrived and is safely stowed in the dining room.

Tomorrow (Saturday) Jim is going to babysit for a few hours and I am going to sand and finish the boxes. Am starting to realize that finishing the cabinets may be what slows down the rest of the kitchen process, and so must throw off squirrel cloak and become beaver with serious work-ethic.

Am loving that park. Sprout loves to be outside, and so babysitting in the park is like not babysitting! It's like hanging out on the grass when you're supposed to be studying for finals. When was the last time I did that?? Who knew parenthood would be so good for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

That's the real reason I'm lookng forward to kids...so I can play too with no guilt.

9:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Micaela asks: Evil purple bellflower? Not that lovely nodding-headed tall-stalked flower that we prize in Kansas gardens for their rarity, by any chance. Or is it?

By the way, have you tried Monkshood? It has a great purple flower...my mother-in-law goes for purple with a passion, the deeper the better, ala heliotrope.

7:28 am  
Blogger Gwen said...

Hey Micaela! Long time no hear. If you had the evil purple bellflower in Kansas, you'd know it - it is an obnoxious weed that has seemingly harmless roots near the soil surface, and 5 inches down, the real root is thick like a big white carrot. It's a 'campanula' (genus) for sure, but I don't know the species name. They are rampant through all the old neighbourhoods in Saskatoon, and propagate sideways under lawns, hedges, etc. It is a losing battle, but I am stubborn in my fight against this vexation.

3:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home