Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Nasty Catholic Girls

I got to say something today that I've wanted to say for a while.

Next year, it will be 20 years since I finished high school. My hometown has already invited me to their 20th reunion, but I didn't graduate there. I graduated at the Convent.

Ten years ago, about four of us tried to organize a 10-year reunion, but it didn't work out. A few of our classmates didn't approve of the programme, sent nasty letters that took all the fun out of it, and it all fizzled and died.

Today, I ran into one of those women, and I got to say, "Hey, 20 years next year, can you believe it?!" We chatted a bit, and I said very perkily, "I was just thinking of you the other day. You guys were so mad about what we had planned for the 10-year reunion, that I'd really like to see you guys plan something for 20. Whatever you come up with, I'd be right in there."

It was a very satisfying conversation. We'll see what they come up with.

3 Comments:

Blogger carmilevy said...

Ha! That must have been such a cathartic moment.

Coincidentally, my experience is sorta similar, only in am opposite manner. We HAD a 10-year reunion. But it was organized by the self-appointed social queen of us all. And it was a disaster: under-attended, over-catered. We all ended up pitching in extra money when she burst out crying at the event.

Needless to say, the 20th one is not gonna happen.

I hate reunions anyway. All the important people from my past are already well inside my small and cherished circle of friends. Everyone else has rightfully drifted far, far away. No big loss.

8:15 pm  
Blogger Gwen said...

"...when she burst out crying at the event." I LOVE the stories that come along with reunions. They're too good. Thanks for sharing.

3:23 pm  
Blogger Leesa said...

I got something in the mail about a 25th elementary school reunion the other day. Who goes to elementary school reunions?

"Remember me? We ate paste together in Math class."

10:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home