Saturday, February 18, 2006

Grr, Short People

Picture this.

5:30 a.m., this morning. Sprout sits up in bed and says to me, "Mommy, I'm done sleeping. Is it mowning?" Me: [immediately realizing and alarmed that he's speaking in full sentences, which means he really is SO AWAKE], "No, it's the middle of the night. Go back to sleep."

He really did try to go back to sleep a few times in the next 1.5 hours, and was even asleep for 2-3 minutes at a time on a few occasions. But I sure wasn't.

At 6:45 a.m., he wanted me to turn the light on in the living room, so he could go out there and play. I had long since given up on "Lay down and go to sleep!", and turned the light on, hoping he'd play Lego or puzzles out there and leave me alone. Jim got up a moment after I got back into bed, and noted that Sprout had gone to the living room, laid down on the floor, and GONE TO SLEEP. Grr.

When he got cold enough, Sprout came back to bed and immediately fell into the deep sleep of the innocent until 9:00 a.m. - with his little pajama-clad bum sticking up in the air. So cute, but... grr.

And me? I'm at work now, but I was so wasted from the night-time shenanigans when I first woke up that I actually felt hungover until I had a lot of coffee.

I love my kid. I love my kid. I love my kid.

5 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

Does keeping him awake until midnight help at all??

3:43 pm  
Blogger Gwen said...

Nope. Surprisingly, keeping him awake so he'll sleep longer makes him sleep worse.

But since this may be your problem someday, I suggest that you put Elizabeth Pantley's "No Cry Sleep Solution" on your reading list. It has great info on sleep strategies (although what would have helped last night, I dunno). :)

3:49 pm  
Blogger liz said...

Ah, I have seen that one referenced before; it looked good. I'll have to pick it up.

11:32 am  
Blogger PostCards said...

We have the same problem at our house, except now that he's almost 5 he's learned to keep himself occupied in his own bed until the semi-reasonable hour of 6 a.m. If you had told me 10 years ago that I would one day consider 6 a.m. even semi-reasonable, I would have told you that you smoked crack. Of course, I was a naive library student then, who didn't know what crack was!

Long time no chat, Gwen!

11:22 am  
Blogger Gwen said...

Why, Ms. Post! How lovely to hear from you. I heard you were back in NB, but I didn't know that you had a sproglet, let alone a 5-yr-old sproglet! E-mail me at l1brarysquirrel AT yahoo DOT ca, and tell me how you are. (and yes, that's a '1' in 'l1brarysquirrel', just to make things complicated).

I had such a great time in NB when we visited during library school - I was telling Jim last night. "Je vais parquer mon car", and the stress of eating lobster for the first time, and the ticklefish at the beach! Toodles

10:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home