Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Squirrel is Sleepy

It's my birthday today - and I had a lovely day - but now I'm sleepy.

My birthdays get simpler and simpler every year. Today I found joy in the small things: talking to old friends I ran into, finally washing the bug guts off my car before winter sets in, teasing my son about the size of his bison burger at dinner in relation to the size of his mouth, treating myself to store-bought lunch AND dinner, wearing sparkly costume jewelry. At breakfast, Jimbo and Sprout put a candle in a mango for me, and sang Happy Birthday. At work, a France-french woman who comes to see me - with reference questions, but sometimes simply to tell me how she did recently at boules - gave me kisses on both cheeks when she heard which day it was.

It was a very nice, simple day.

Now, all that being said, I am once again instituting Birthday Week, which stretches the revelries in both directions. In my near future, there will still have to be shopping, and waffle breakfast, and sleeping in, and some serious goofing off.

Tomorrow I could tell you about the convent. Or about my new tattoo. But I can't tell you about the hairy hug, which is a story that should never be written down (bad karma).

6 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Happy belated birthday, Gwen (because by the time you get this it - the day - will be over), so extend this greeting into the rest of your birthday week!

10:34 pm  
Blogger Laureen said...

I'm glad you're back in blog land!

12:33 am  
Blogger Bibliophileista said...

Happy birthday Gwen ... I have to say I love your blog. When I read your postings I am struck by the fact that you have the same spirit you had when we were at St. Angela's.

Emma

3:16 pm  
Blogger Gwen said...

Thanks Ladies, and I'm glad I'm back in blog land too. Emma, 43 is the new 23, didn't you know? :) So glad to connect with you again.

9:41 pm  
Blogger Alicia said...

I'm a few days late but still want to wish you well! I did make it in time for birthday week though. I am a fan of birthday week myself:)

7:58 am  
Blogger Gwen said...

Thanks Alicia!

8:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home