Saturday, October 29, 2011

Dawn Treader

I am slowly working my way all the way through the Chronicles of Narnia. Haven't read them since I was 10 or so.

The creation story was stunning, and I don't think I actually read The Magician's Nephew until I was an adult. The crucifixion tale chilling and magnificent. Love those mice. The fall from grace and the dull inhumanity alluded to in Prince Caspian had me nodding my head.

Now I've reached The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I always find Eustace's dragon skin sloughing to be highly resonant. Was just tonight trying to figure out if the quest through the unknown islands to find the seven lost knights is tied to the seven deadly sins. There's definitely greed and envy, pride and a little wrath, but then there's despair. Despair should really be one of the seven deadlies, don't you think?

And who's Lucy in these books? She is completely steadfast. She saves their butts over and over again with a lot of faith at exactly the right moment. The more I think about the books, the more is revealed. Like a shiny little puzzle box.

Reepicheep is about to leap into his coracle...!

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Hi Gwen,

I went looking for your latest post, and suddenly realized it was November, and your October experimentation of resurrecting the Library Squirrel blog is over.

Thank you for sharing a snippet of your world, your wit, and your adventures. I thoroughly enjoyed it! If ever you decide to continue at your own pace, go for it; I'd love it!

6:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home